My go-to pickled beetroot recipe. Deliciously spiced and so easy to prepare. These should store well for at least a few months in a cool dark place!
- 1kg medium-sized raw beetroot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 180g caster sugar
- 300ml white wine vinegar
- 200ml cold water
- 20ml balsamic vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp pickling spice (typically contains mustard seeds, cloves, allspice, cinnamon and ginger)
- 1 tbsp crushed chilli flakes
- 2 sterilised kilner jars
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Wash and scrub your beetroot to remove any dirt before trimming the root and stalk
- Wrap beetroots in a foil parcel after a little drizzle with olive oil, then place in the oven on a baking tray. I find they are best cooked whole but I like to pierce them a couple of times with a with a knife to ensure they cook through. Roast for 1 hour 30 or until fairly soft.
- While the beetroot is cooking prepare your pickling liquid by adding the sugar, vinegar, water, and spices to a saucepan. I like to bring this to the boil to dissolve the sugar before turning off the heat and allowing to infuse for an hour.
- Remove your beetroot from the oven to let them cool before peeling off the outer skins. Slice to your desired thickness and pack tightly into your sterilized jars.
- Reheat the pickling liquid then pour the hot vinegar mix over your beetroot and seal the lid immediately (I like to strain out the spices before pouring in).