My go-to pickled beetroot recipe. Deliciously spiced and so easy to prepare. These should store well for at least a few months in a cool dark place!
- 1kg medium-sized raw beetroot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 180g caster sugar
- 300ml white wine vinegar
- 200ml cold water
- 20ml balsamic vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp pickling spice (typically contains mustard seeds, cloves, allspice, cinnamon and ginger)
- 1 tbsp crushed chilli flakes
- 2 sterilised kilner jars
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Wash and scrub your beetroot to remove any dirt before trimming the root and stalk
- Wrap beetroots in a foil parcel after a little drizzle with olive oil, then place in the oven on a baking tray. I find they are best cooked whole but I like to pierce them a couple of times with a with a knife to ensure they cook through. Roast for 1 hour 30 or until fairly soft.
- While the beetroot is cooking prepare your pickling liquid by adding the sugar, vinegar, water, and spices to a saucepan. I like to bring this to the boil to dissolve the sugar before turning off the heat and allowing to infuse for an hour.
- Remove your beetroot from the oven to let them cool before peeling off the outer skins. Slice to your desired thickness and pack tightly into your sterilized jars.
- Reheat the pickling liquid then pour the hot vinegar mix over your beetroot and seal the lid immediately (I like to strain out the spices before pouring in).
One thought on “Sweet and spicy pickled beetroot”
Sounds lovely I will definitely give it a go…